Thursday, April 14, 2011

Surf At Last...Sort of

Hatteras from the ferry

Going to Hatteras from Ocracoke required another ferry.  We got on fairly promptly and after a 45 minute trip, arrived at the farthest part of the outer banks it's possible to drive to from the mainland.  (Does that make sense?)  The town of Hatteras.  There are no chain stores, or large hotels.  Most of the shops appear to be  local owned. 

Some parts of the island are so narrow you can stand in the middle and see both sides. I see what the charm is in the outer banks.  What I've seen so far (up to Rodanthe) is a village atmosphere with the people living here liking the quiet, away from the rat race.  At least now while very few tourists are here.  I imagine it's a different story in the summer.  But the season only runs from Father's day to the end of August.


Enjoing the wind on the sound side.

I played it safe and drove to the KOA in Rodanthe to stay the night.  There actually appeared to be surf so I finally rented a board.  Turns out, the water is pretty cold here.  The guy gave me gloves that were huge and booties that were even bigger to use along with the board.  Needless to say, by the time I got in the water, the tide had gotten to it and with a new board, new waves, and those huge, heavy gloves, I only got one wave before I gave up.  Still...it felt good to get wet.  I chatted for awhile with a couple women close to my age that ran the local surf shop.  Kind of a surf day.

Later, we ran down and checked out the sunset over the Pamlico sound.  Another pretty sunset and another nice day.
The sun setting on the Outer Banks

No comments:

Post a Comment