Friday, April 22, 2011

The Blue Ridge Parkway Day 1 and 2

Can you see the people on the hill on the left?
4/20  The first stop out of town today was at Great Falls park.  It's where the Potomac drops 80 feet.  The river was fairly high and fast with the recent rains.  We took a nice walk along the banks of the river before heading toward the mountains.  There are some very nice farms along the way with rolling hills, horses, barns, big houses, and flowering trees.  Also a lot of vineyards which surprised me.



The storm that was expected today has held off and only made for pretty skies with big, puffy clouds. The trees don't have many leaves yet at this altitude (3000 ft), but it works out nicely since this way I can see through the trees to the glorious vistas beyond.  By stopping at every turnout,  I don't think I will make much time on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  So far on the first part of it, Skyline Drive, I've averaged 25 miles an hour.  Let's see...at 550 or so more miles.....




Stayed at a National Park campground tonight and did my first couple miles on the Appalachian trail.  Cash ran into some not very shy deer and there was a standoff till I broke it up.  Good thing I had him on a leash.







4/21    Didn't make much time today either, but that isn't my goal anyway. We took some time out from driving and took a couple hikes.  After several weeks in the flat lands, I'm really enjoying being in the mountains again.  It feels good to be hiking.  Seems like a long time since I did any.  Almost forgot how much I enjoy it.



So far the drive hasn't been boring at all.  The amount and type of foliage on the trees depends on altitude.  The higher you go, the less foliage.  The lower altitudes have the new green leaves and lots of dogwood blooming.  And in some areas there are evergreens.   Keeps the drive interesting that way.  You never know what is around the corner. The Blue Ridge Parkway isn't as well kept up as the Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park.  I assume that's because the one is a national park and the other is just run by the National Park Service.  Besides, the Parkway is 5 times as long. 

Stopped at the only campground open on the Parkway itself.  There are 2 other campers here.   Tomorrow I'll have to pull off the parkway to one of the towns nearby and stay at an RV park.  Time for a shower anyway.  Not to mention internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment